OTR @ 154.ca Forum Index OTR @ 154.ca
Old Time Radio :: Downloads

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Make a Donation (aka V&S buying co-op)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OTR @ 154.ca Forum Index -> News and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phineus
Vic and Sadist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Make a Donation (aka V&S buying co-op) Reply with quote

For anybody who's visited the front page lately (people still do that, don't they?) you may have noticed a donation button on the menu... that looks like this:

Don't be alarmed, we are not converting into a pay-per-use site. Rather, high prices in general have prommpted me to consider accepting assistance from those who might be able and who are motivated to do so. For what it's worth, my internet bill is about $1500 annually. That's high enough, to be sure, but is not really the concern here. Rather, in the quest for more Vic and Sade, I've spent something in the neighborhood of $2k in the past year and just recently came across a deal that ran in excess of another seven hundred dollars. Despite any generosity I might have and my willingness to cover the expenses of my own project, this one strained even my accounts and so I went in search of buying partners, which luckily I was able to find because the deal turned up several new, never-before-heard episodes. That done, talk came up about organizing a V&S buying co-op. I think that's a good idea and I'll certainly leave the door open to it, but fact is that my overall otr bill is a high one so that waiting until the critical moment when something comes up might not garner timely input, so a bit of foresight is in order. Hence the donation button.

For those who might be wondering, yes, I've tried ads in the shared spot but the revenues are miniscule and I won't deface the forum or main site for the sake of pennies a month. It's not worth it and is an eye sore that makes the site unpleasant to visit. It was an interesting experiment but unprofitable. I won't do anything like that ever again.

What happens if I can no longer afford this stuff? I don't know. Maybe turn my hand to making commercial audio cds but it's a hobby and would rather not get caught up in the business of it - not if I can help it.

If you're interested in learning about other ways you can help out, please check out the wishlist page I've made.

http://vicandsade.net/wishlist.shtml

For those of you who are not particularly V&S fans, please remember that the site exists for V&S first. If you enjoy the site, the costs all come out of the same basket (mine). Any help you can provide contributes to the site overall.

Thank you.

Tech note. If you use IE you may get a message on the paypal site that says something about insecure information on the donation page. That's because of the forum graphic at the top of the page. I wanted to include something so people know everything is on the level, but leave it to microsoft to call a graphic file a security risk. But that's all it is, a graphic file, and there is nothing to worry about.
Spidyr2k
Web-master
Web-master

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worthy cause in many respects. Happy to contribute, Phinny! Cool
Vic and Sadist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed Spidey, if this site isn't worth ten dollars then I don't know what is.

Thanks Bingster and Phineus for all you do for us.

I'm glad to help. Smile
woodblock100
Radio Star
Radio Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Bringing more fans ... Reply with quote

Glad to toss something into the donation bucket this morning ... because I have probably caused a bit of a 'hit' on your bandwidth today.

Trying to drum up more V&S fans, I introduced the MetaFilter community to your site:
http://www.metafilter.com/62379/The-Small-House-Halfway-Up-in-the-Next-Block
historyb
Show Host

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll toss something in the bucket. I just had a thought, what about an OTR radiothon or something like that?
http://otrclassics.blogspot.com/
sailor
Radio Star
Radio Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure Sir.

Ray
Alaskafurrydog
Network Executive

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Make a Donation (aka V&S buying co-op) Reply with quote

Phineus wrote:
For anybody who's visited the front page lately (people still do that, don't they?)

Gosh I'm thick as two short planks but I can't find the front page... this is embarrasing....I can find the index page but can't for the life of me see the donation button... is the link in the message active Rolling Eyes perhaps clicking it would tell me the answer to that... Embarassed
a very puzzled blonde afd
alistener
Network Executive

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Make a Donation (aka V&S buying co-op) Reply with quote

Alaskafurrydog wrote:
I can't find the front page

http://154.ca/otr/
Alaskafurrydog
Network Executive

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Make a Donation (aka V&S buying co-op) Reply with quote

alistener wrote:
Alaskafurrydog wrote:
I can't find the front page

http://154.ca/otr/

Thank you!!!!
I've never been there before...it must come from being raised in the countryside ...never enter a house by the front door! Embarassed
Phineus
Vic and Sadist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> I've never been there before...

Rolling Eyes

And I'm in the process of giving it a face lift.
If you find dead links, please let me know, thanks.

Note. Before anybody says some of that text looks remarkably similar to what you'll find on wikipedia, just remember I wrote that wiki (before the butchers got at it) so I think I'm safe to use my own stuff ;-)
Bert Ward
Radio Star
Radio Star

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm old Fashioned, but I've never done this /paypal or anything like this b4.....

Okay if I just send you a check?
Phineus
Vic and Sadist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything you like, Bert. It's greatly appreciated.

And for what it's worth, I signed on with a new host night before last. I couldn't take the slow page load anymore. So I'll be moving sites in the coming weeks... and hopefully by that time I'll have regained control of our domain name.
Bert Ward
Radio Star
Radio Star

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phineus, all I need is an address, and to whom to make it out to...you can PM me or post it here, assuming there are other old fogies out there who don't trust this new fangled computer payment stuff... Rolling Eyes
Shocked
Phineus
Vic and Sadist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phineus Gage
(moved - update coming soon)
- http://154.ca/otr/wishlist.shtml

Cool

Last edited by Phineus on Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Bert Ward
Radio Star
Radio Star

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhhh...REAL stupid question here....is the postage the same?
It'll come from Utah....

Thanks
Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OTR @ 154.ca Forum Index -> News and Announcements All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: