OTR @ 154.ca Forum Index OTR @ 154.ca
Old Time Radio :: Downloads

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

324 ... inactive members
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OTR @ 154.ca Forum Index -> News and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
renaldow
Guest Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just read the last few pages on this topic with interest. I'm a co-runner (is that what you'd call it? I dunno!) of a 'niche' site that has nothing to do with OTR, and we have a similar issue with lots of users/no posts too. We don't have anything to do with file downloads, it's film reviews. Our reviews are open for anyone, and we have a membership discussion forum. Hits on the reviews put us as one of the largest sites, but we get very few people who join the forum, and even less that stick around. We have thousands that enter the contests we run, but the forum has maybe a good solid dozen members who post regularly.

I think the thing with forums and users in general is, people find a place where 'they belong' and stick with it. People sign up, read, and decide not to come back, just like you would a restaurant you didn't care for. On a forum like this, there's also a big leach/lurker factor, of course. I think maybe a good portion of the leaches just don't have anything to contribute, or at least they feel they don't have anything to contribute. For lack of any better terms, this is a mature and well behaved forum. That can throw some people, and intimidate others. Then of course, there's people that come here, sign up, and then either forget about the site or at least forget how to get here. I've done that a lot of times myself before learning to bookmark every forum I join. Laughing

I don't know which category I'd put myself into as a member, I try to say thank you when I can, and I try to add/contribute when I can. But realistically, I'm not going to be one of the people who collects the shows. I listen and delete, and most of what I get is from the same places everyone else here gets them too. I try to contribute in other ways when I can, with help, advice or information.
Phineus
Vic and Sadist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your website. I'd be interested to see it.

The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) has a forum and other features for registered members. The problem is that I've never felt compelled to join. I mean, why would I? I own halliwell's and several other reference books, I can browse amazon - which is a great resource even if you're not buying - and a great many of the films I find worth watching get trashed by most all reviewers. What could the IMDB possibly offer as incentive so that I'd subject myself to (a) opinionated pedants or (b) trivia hounds?

A related note http://www.comics.com/comics/bornloser/archive/bornloser-20080302.html

That said, I'd still like to check out what you're doing.

> but we get very few people who join the forum, and even less that stick around. We have thousands that enter the contests we run, but the forum has maybe a good solid dozen members

The first otr forum I had was ignored for almost two years. The BBC once linked to a couple files and did a nice write up about the site... to the point it almost killed the server bandwidth, and yet nobody would acknowledge a word.

Your contests sound like a good idea. Maybe the trick would be to tie it into the forum membership database so they have to register prior to participating. A little arm twisting, maybe, but nothing outrageous.

renaldow wrote:
I think the thing with forums and users in general is, people find a place where 'they belong' and stick with it. People sign up, read, and decide not to come back, just like you would a restaurant you didn't care for. On a forum like this, there's also a big leach/lurker factor, of course. I think maybe a good portion of the leaches just don't have anything to contribute, or at least they feel they don't have anything to contribute. For lack of any better terms, this is a mature and well behaved forum. That can throw some people, and intimidate others. Then of course, there's people that come here, sign up, and then either forget about the site or at least forget how to get here. I've done that a lot of times myself before learning to bookmark every forum I join.

People are also leery of trying a new thing, and once tried and liked get stuck in a rut and are resistant to change. And your explanations are good and valid. Unfortunately, the increase in spam tactics forces attention to things that were unheard of ten years ago. If an innocent or harmless person gets caught out unintentionally with a spam sweep, then the hope is that if they are not one of those who have vanished never to return that they take the time to read this and just sign up again and carry on like they always had. Nobody is being accused of wrong doing. This is just a little house cleaning.
renaldow
Guest Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phineus wrote:
What's your website. I'd be interested to see it.

I'll PM you the URL, I'm not trying to advertise here. Wink

Phineus wrote:
Your contests sound like a good idea. Maybe the trick would be to tie it into the forum membership database so they have to register prior to participating. A little arm twisting, maybe, but nothing outrageous.

We did that, we ended up with a lot of 0 post accounts. We also had done it with a requirement of posting, and didn't get more than a dozen entries for that contest. Laughing
Mike Hobart
Network Executive

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only post regularly in a handful of forums. There needs to be something of interest and there also needs to be some feedback. (OTRplus is perfect in that regard!).

Some forums I've seen fill me with horror. One news site used to let people post comments on news stories and some of the people posting comment were just crazy. Not even amusingly crazy, just off their head. I remember when novelist Arthur Hailey died, somebody who obviously disliked his books posted a comment "I hope the devil is raping his ass in hell". Who would write something like that??

Even some of the comments on IMDB can come from people who can obviously type faster than they can think.

Needless to say, I find the company much more compatible here.
Phineus
Vic and Sadist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renaldow, thanks for the link. I had a good look around and passed the link along to a few friends who I felt would appreciate what you're doing there.

Meanwhile.... 130 logins removed.
  • people who registered over a year ago who did not post and have never returned after the first day.

• people who registered over a year ago but never returned at all, ever.
bestpbx
Empress Carlotta
Empress Carlotta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Phinney!

(as Madge in "Cabin in the Cotton", 1932)
Mike Hobart
Network Executive

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phineus wrote:
130 logins removed.
  • people who registered over a year ago who did not post and have never returned after the first day.

• people who registered over a year ago but never returned at all, ever.

Sounds quite reasonable to me, Phineus.
brt55
Show Host

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes life kind of interferes with getting back to a forum after someones invited you. Lots of familiar avatars and Names here. I think things have calmed a bit in real world and have the ability to share now so hope to spend more time here.
brt55
bestpbx
Empress Carlotta
Empress Carlotta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brt55 wrote:
Sometimes life kind of interferes with getting back to a forum after someones invited you. Lots of familiar avatars and Names here. I think things have calmed a bit in real world and have the ability to share now so hope to spend more time here.
brt55

Welcome and have fun!
Sharon Very Happy

(as Madge in "Cabin in the Cotton", 1932)
innner_sanctum
Mayor

Location: Kadath, corner of Wistful Vista and Cypress Canyon, across from the Wig-Wam store, 1B3 X9Q

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, I couldn't post when i first signed up, there was some limit or required number of days or something before the forum would let me. so i never posted. now im posting.
bingster
Jolly Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an anti-spam measure that keeps spammers from posting. You can read about it in the thread below this one:

http://otrplus.com/viewtopic.php?t=6818

And welcome to the forum!

Very Happy
catfreak
Radio Star
Radio Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate . . .
alistener
Network Executive

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're up to 1248 members

With 695 non posting members,

I wonder how many have never come back after registering ?

And how many of those 695 don't just post a simple "Thanks" to keep the uploaders encouraged.

Like the set of "Sherlock Holmes" Bob posted, and is hosting on his site.
There are only 2 "Thanks" in the thread since Bob uploaded it.
I'm guessing more than 2 people have downloaded it.

I know what you're thinking, You didn't see me "Thanking" him, but I haven't downloaded it.
ansonroberts
Station Manager

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to keep the record straight, I've also gotten several private "thank yous" via PM. Smile
gilinAZ
Station Manager

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike...that's about double from what it was with the first post, on Page 1, showing inactives. Has the membership also doubled? Just wondered what it was when there were only 300+ inactives? You'd think the inactives would have posted "something", by now!

Also...did you notice that a whole year went by...from 2008 to 2009...before anything was posted here, again?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OTR @ 154.ca Forum Index -> News and Announcements All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: