OTR @ 154.ca Forum Index OTR @ 154.ca
Old Time Radio :: Downloads

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tidiness within the Trading Post
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OTR @ 154.ca Forum Index -> News and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bingster
Jolly Boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Tidiness within the Trading Post Reply with quote

For navigational ease, let's try to keep similarly-themed posts, and posts containing episodes of a single series, in one thread. Such items could easily be combined into a single post, which would allow users to more easily find them when browsing or using the search function.

There's no need to alter anything that's already been posted. It's just something to keep in mind in the future.
alistener
Network Executive

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean like all 200 of those LATW threads

or the 150 Music threads.

I'm kind of suprised you guys left the music ones Confused
bingster
Jolly Boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the music threads would be a better fit in the Off-Site area, since they're reposted from Reci's music blog.
sailor
Radio Star
Radio Star

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I'm confused enough as it is. Very Happy

Ray
alistener
Network Executive

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bingster wrote:
Perhaps the music threads would be a better fit in the Off-Site area, since they're reposted from Reci's music blog.

Probably
Right now it looks more like OTRPlus members are sharing them.
We probably don't want to be accused of that.

But then again, in the "Trading" area google can't find them.
Zen
Script Writer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belong to several forums that have similar areas beyond the reach of Google - but that didn't stop them getting Cease and Dessist notices from the lawyers at Marvel Comics (who seem to be the most litigious company in this respect). It does, therefore, alarm me when I see "Marvel Comics" in thread titles.

Zen
radar696
Dog catcher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this just involves a little bit of training.

It goes along with remembering to abbreviate titles when you are posting files to the share sites.

I always try to keep similar items encased in one common thread.

We all know that sometimes we end up with multiple items that are not related encased in one thread too! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Sometimes it just happens but Bingster and the rest of you are right. I think it makes it much more difficult if you place multiple files from one common source into many different threads.

Just remember that sometimes even those placed into one common thread can become overwhelming when they become too long.

Not that I have an answer for that either but it sure seems like someone could think up a better system for keeping that stuff organized.

Maybe if the person that starts the thread could be good enough to place each and every link that is involved in the first message box?
Would that help?

Radar Cool Cool

It's bigger on the inside.
RustyNail
Announcer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bingster wrote:

I was going to mention the blog link too. Be a lot easier for folks that like that music to just go there.
Phineus
Vic and Sadist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radar696 wrote:
Just remember that sometimes even those placed into one common thread can become overwhelming when they become too long.

For example.... http://otrplus.com/viewtopic.php?t=5088
radar696
Dog catcher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phineus wrote:
radar696 wrote:

For example.... http://otrplus.com/viewtopic.php?t=5088

Remember, that's not to be confused with those that have been online too long!!

Or least have spent too much time browsing through our forum!! Wink Wink

katydidit
Network Executive

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Comments Back Reply with quote

Hello All:

Is this an objection to the type of material being shared or the fact that the OTRPlus has expanded and we need to create different categories.

I don't believe the comments made really have anything to do with being tidy.

alistener, I didn't hear a thank you for all of those 200 LATW shows that were just posted. Prior to this there are many individual postings for LATW, Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes, videos and the list goes on and on.

Zen, I find it rather interesting that you now mention about the Marvel word when prior to this sticky you didn't say anything. I believe if we were to look on all 96 pages of threads we would find a lot of "titles" that should not be there as well and could be searched by Google. That's just in the Trading Post!

It is also not the first time that someone on this site has shared links from other websites, blogs, etc. for everything from audiobooks to videos.

I believe the members here are doing there best to post appropriate material and the site has been flexible and friendly enough for all to enjoy.

This is what brought me to this site late last summer. Many members join and start sharing immediately when they come to OTRPlus because of that friendly atmosphere. Do we want to scare them off with nitpicky criticisms.

We could be like most forums where people just take all the time and never every give at all. They just rely on a few main members to always load up the material.

The Trading Post is one "big" area and we want to encourage people to share.

If you would like to establish RULES or CONTROLS as to what can be shared or how things are TITLED, etc. then it is a separate discussion and ultimately up to the powers that run the site.

Bingster and Phineus have handled the job of tidy up the Trading Post in a very polite and courteous way rather than getting too critical of others.

Let us not forget that we are here to enjoy what is being shared. If you see something that might be placed in a better location, kindly make a sugggestion to that member to place it an appropriate area. It is really not a big deal -- it is called friendly advice.

katy

Last edited by katydidit on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
oldsoldier49
Gildersleeve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Come on, everyone, this is OTRPlus, the home of friends. I echo Katy's comments. If I thought someone posted something that would get them in trouble I would (and have) PMed the member and let them know that it might get them in trouble. That's what friends do. Let's not beat each other up and point fingers. The Boss says to tidy up the threads, let's tidy up the threads. If the Boss has no objections with what members are posting, why should we. Think Friendly. Very Happy Dick
hermes
Orchestra Leader

Location: Walkern - Home of the last witch of England - Hertfordshire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so lost now.

Bingster, I see your point and it would appear obvious that it would be better to try to condense posts a little.

It seems to me bieng a real green noob that there's another agenda going on here that I can only sense and get the aftershock from.

Seems that alistener's comments have triggered off that other agenda that I don't know about, whats that all about?

Where do I start eh, I keep admitting I havent got a clue about OTR stuff, thats why I can here, I find it a fantastic resource of information backed up by some very nice members who would do anything to keep someone like me with their OTR education. I am not in competition trying to post such material as I really leave that to you pro guys and girl. I just try to share what I find that could be related and of interest to the forum members but know that perhaps you may alreay have the material, whatever I do my best.

I think it rather presumptuous to think that all music links here are reposted from /recisoldies.blogspot.com/, to be honest I had never heard of it till now. I also find it very irritating when comments about my posts are far from pleasant but accusing me of reposting links from other forums. For all that member knows I am the original poster so whats the problem there eh!?

We all know there are thousands of forums out there, thousands of reposted material and that just how it is. I still find it amusing that you think all the music posted here has come from one blog.

Sorry, sorry, sorry if I have gone off topic and got a bit heated but hey....

PS. I'm glad all my rubbish posts are in the off site section, I think thats the best place for them!

I like this place Very Happy

cheers chaps and lady
Wink
radar696
Dog catcher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radar696 wrote:
All of this just involves a little bit of training.

It goes along with remembering to abbreviate titles when you are posting files to the share sites.

Radar Cool Cool

Katy,

I understand everything that you have mentioned and I hope that you aren't thinking that I was objecting to what has been posted myself.

I did however post the first part of my message for a reason. If you don't remember to abbreviate file names; I don't necessarily mean in the forum itself but when you are posting files on a share site like Mediafire. Those files can be searched rather easily.

I myself have no problem with people sharing what they wish to share but do so in a careful manner please.

Most know that I've shared things that were questionable (as in copyrighted) to say the least; just like others.

We all have our moments when we do things that irritate others. Lord knows I have done more than my share for sure, but I have tried to learn little tricks to try and keep myself out of the spotlight.

Radar Cool Cool

katydidit
Network Executive

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Postings Reply with quote

Hi radar:

Quote:
I myself have no problem with people sharing what they wish to share but do so in a careful manner please

I really don't see anything that has been shared that is inappropriate.

What does "careful manner" mean?

Looking at the Trading Post from beginning to present day, I don't see anything that has been shared recently that is any different then what has already been shared?

The other issue has been dealt with under another sticky: Changes to the Trading Post re specific subject headings and so forth.

katy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OTR @ 154.ca Forum Index -> News and Announcements All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: